Combine a 2-hour nature walk, led by a biologist, with being the eyes and ears of the community to discourage undesireable activities in the San Diego River area. Join any or all of the walks; see schedule below. For more information or to volunteer, contact Info@LakesideRiverPark.org.
Court-ordered volunteers are welcome participate to fulfill their service requirement.
All volunteers must complete and turn in a wavier of liability before volunteering.
- Hike with the group regularly through areas of the San Diego Riverbed and learn about the plants and wildlife that make it their home.
- Observe and report areas of trash, homeless activity, fishing use, fence damage and anything out of the ordinary.
- Use tools provided to pick up “light” trash as needed.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Possess the physical ability to walk/hike outdoors in various weather conditions and on natural terrain. The terrain in some areas would be considered moderately strenuous and some parts of the trail have substantial vegetation.
- Complete and return all necessary log forms and paperwork in a timely manner.
- Carry a cell phone.
- Attend occasional meetings and trainings.
- Must wear hiking boots and long pants to participate. Hats and sunscreen highly recommended.
- Must bring a minimum of 32 oz of water to participate.
Meeting place: Cactus County Park parking lot located at 10610 Ashwood, Lakeside, CA 92040. Directions: From Interstate 8 East, take Highway 67 North. The freeway section of the highway ends at the light at Mapleview. Turn right on Mapleview, turn left on Ashwood.
Times: Sundays 8-10am, Mondays 10am-noon.