San Diego River Science Field Station
The San Diego River Science Field Station will be our hub for conservation education along the San Diego River in Lakeside. Our goal is to bring students and teachers to the Field Station to learn about the science involved to maintain a healthy river and ecosystem.
We will train teachers, so they may return to their classrooms and teach their students and encourage stewardship of the this precious resource. The San Diego River Science Field Station will be a cost-effective facility to promote hands-on, real-time involvement that classroom instruction alone can't match.
We will invite researchers and university students to perform advanced research, as there is much that remains unknown about the San Diego River and its watershed. Monitoring and research are essential to the accurate assessment of the progress or failure of restoration programs. State law requires that restoration projects along the San Diego River be studied for effectiveness. Moreover, climate change demands that we research how the change in amount and timing of rainfall impacts our habitat and species.
The transition of the Bostonia House to the San Diego River Science Field Station
Our wonderful, giving and visionary East County community has made this project possible with time, material, equipment and expertise. We are grateful to everyone who helped get this project underway. It is truly a community effort. We estimate being open for student use in 2018.
Sponsorships and Membership
We still need to raise funds for the interior of the building, which will feature a classroom and office space. Please consider sponsoring a portion of the project, or becoming a River Park member. Call our office at (619) 443-4770 to find out how you can help.
From the bottom of our hearts, we thank:
- East County Soils Consultation and Engineering, Inc
- Gary Ruyle, Landscape Architect, Board Member
- Hanson Aggregates
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- James Renzi, Engineer
- Kevin Hale, Board Member, Southwest Construction Services
- Marathon Construction
- Minshew Brothers Steel Construction Inc.
- Operating Engineers Training Trust
- RCP Block and Brick
- RDO Equipment
- San Diego & Imperial Counties, California.
- San Diego Foundation
- San Diego Job Corps
- Southwest Regional Council of Carpenters
- Steamfitters & HVAC/R Local 230
- Supervisor Dianne Jacob
- Terry Thompson, Architect/Designer
- Tom Honeycutt, General Contractor
- United Association of Plumbers
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America
- William Ferreira, Architect
The students, teachers and staff in the Lakeside School District for their support through the Coins for the Conservancy program.
Coins for the Conservancy Committee:
- Mona Anderson
- Karen Barr
- Carol Clarke
- Betty McMillen
- Sally Nelson
- Charlotte Howatt
- Chris Manzella
- Barbara Thompson
- Diane York